Tuesday, September 25, 2007

On Shopping, Spit, and Rolling in the Ryegrass

Some unrelated things on my mind today:

I put my money where my mouth was and ordered a stack of CDs from the Tayberry Music going-out-of-business sale. Having received the CDs, I'll recommend it again. I got great CDs at bargain prices, they were friendly, shipped quickly, and they fixed a misshipment at their expense. I wish the owners a happy retirement!

A while back I was having a problem with, um, drool getting into my whistle while I was playing. I asked my teacher about this and he said he'd never had the problem. But I figured it out; I just need to not look down while playing.

Mick O'Brien and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh have an interesting version of Rolling in the Ryegrass on Kitty Lie Over. They seem to prolong the first parts of the first two bars of the A part, and they don't go up as high, in relative pitch, on the second bar, as most versions I've heard. That, plus some other differences, gives the tune a really different feel. I like the whole album.

No comments: